Saturday, October 17, 2009

Spotlight on Cameron Akerdolu, Artist in-the-Making

What goes into making Artists For Humanity's innovative, eco-friendly ReVision tables? Cameron Akerdolu, an AFH apprentice in the Sculpture/Industrial Design Studio tells us how he creates these sustainable, functional pieces of art from junk mail, magazines, steel and eco-friendly durable resin.

AFH: Take me through the process of making a ReVision table.
Cameron: First, we have to sketch what we want to make and there is a lot that goes into the details of the design. You have to figure out how to to place things in the resin so they won't float all over the place.
Then we take pre-cut magazine pieces and roll them into coils and put them in the wooden mold until we get a shape according to our designs or what the client wants.
Then we take some of this special no-VOC resin liquid that comes in two bottles, we pour it into the molds and let it sit there for about a day, pour another layer and then we pop it out. Also, we torch the resin to get the bubbles out that form when you pour it. They are fairly easy to pop out - we just knock it on the table and it just comes out. After we pop it out - we file down the edges so the plastic doesn't hurt anybody.

AFH: How did you get involved in the AFH Sculpture/Industrial Design Studio?
Cameron: When I first got my job here -- I was assigned to the Painting and Drawing Studio. I liked it and then they promoted me to the Sculpture/Industrial Design Studio which I like a lot better... and I am getting publicity here! People always say that I have good ideas. My design for a bike rack was selected to be built for Boston's Mission Hill Main Streets project. It is so cool to see your stuff in other people's homes and as part of your city!


AFH: How difficult is it to make one of these funky, sustainable ReVision tables?
Cameron:
They are time consuming. You just have to be dedicated and focused to make one of these -- there is no real specific deadline, but we make a couple a day because we have orders for them.

AFH: How did you get involved with AFH and how has AFH affected you?
Cameron:
My brother used to work here so my brother told me to apply. Also, I could always draw - I could draw good. I saw my opportunity at Artists for Humanity like a goal to get a job with art. I love the publicity and seeing people use something you made. After working with sculpture at AFH, it opened up the possibility of having a job doing art.


Pictured above: Cameron with a ReVision " Universal" table/stool that he created.

To learn more go to http://www.afhboston.com/revision.html

No comments: