Friday, April 30, 2010

Spotlight: Alice Luu from AFH Sculpture studio


Alice Luu talks about her experience as a teen artist with guests at the Greatest Party On Earth. She sold the first Re:Vision table of the night!

Q: What was the inspiration behind your “signature star” tables?

AL: When I initially joined Sculpture studio last fall, we made [the table top] pixels from long magazine strips and wrapped elastics around them. It reminded me of the strips of [origami] paper I used when I was little to make stars. It’s kind of pretty cool since I was the only one in the studio who was able to fold the stars. I taught half the studio how to make them. I like teaching people things, even if it’s math or some school subject.

Q: How would you compare making paper stars to making the magazine pixels?

AL: Making the stars, you get to use individual strips. I get to pick my colors instead of using a whole magazine.

Q: This was your first time at GPOE. What did you do?

AL: I got there at 6pm. I helped Dominique [another teen sculptor] set up her earring stand. The mentors set up the sculpture exhibit the day before. From the start of the party, I was at the area of our tables, explaining to people what we do, how we make the tables and what the tables are made of. I talked to a lot of people.

Q: What was it like talking to clients?

AL: Initially it was kind of hard, and then I got used to it; with experience, I got better. I learned not to be shy anymore, to have the courage to go up to people and say, “Hi, how are you doing? Let me tell you about this.” It was sort of a new thing for me.

Q: I heard you sold a table. How do you feel?

AL: I sold two! I was really excited. It was also the first piece of sculpture sold that night. I was selling things and doing well.

Q: How has working at GPOE and selling tables added to your experience at AFH?

AL: I think this is the best job ever! The coolest. It feels good to leave something behind, something that you made. You’re not just going through life doing whatever. Someone has something that you own and you made and I get to present it.

Q: What have you learned from this experience?

AL: Talking to people to sell things is definitely a new experience. We have an art gallery at school but I never had to approach people and explain it. There’s a motivation to present and show stuff that you’ve made instead of staying behind.

No comments: