Sunday, December 2, 2012

Meet Xiang Liang Xu, AFH's Featured Young Artist of the Month!

Meet Xiang Liang Xu, AFH Featured Young Artist of the month!



We are so excited to introduce you to Xiang Liang Xu, one of AFH’s talented teen-painters! This John D. O’Bryant senior has only been working with AFH since March, but has already fully embraced every opportunity including our tutoring program to help perfect his resume and college applications. His passion for the arts has even landed him at MassArt to take art classes on the weekends. And this hard-worker is already excelling in a variety of media, including fashion and screen printing. It has been fun getting to know Xiang Liang  and we cannot wait to see what the future holds for this bright and ambitious teen! (Fun fact: this year, Xiang Liang was nominated for the prestigious We Are Boston Youth Action Award!)  

Check out his work and interview below, and be sure to stop by the AFH EpiCenter on 12-12-12  from 4 -8 pm to meet him and other talented teens at our Greatest Gifts on Earth Holiday Sale and Party!


 AFH: HI Xiang Liang! How did you hear about AFH?
 XLX: A friend of mine recommended that I work at AFH and brought me to one of the open houses.

AFH: What first interested you about art?
XLX: What first interested me were the famous artists that I saw on TV.  I wanted to be just like them.


AFH: What  groups/organizations are you a part of outside of AFH?
XLX: In school, I am the president of our GSA. I am also a performer in the Asian Culture Club and a volunteer for the recycling and origami club. Also I am a record secretary in student council.


AFH: Wow, you do so much! How do you find time to do all these awesome activities?                                      
XLX: I just do! I am very organized.

AFH: What’s your favorite part about AFH?  
XLX:My favorite part about AFH is the giant studio I’m able to work in. The painting studio is set up beautifully and is really inspiring. 


AFH: What painting are you working on right now? What inspired it?
XLX: I am painting one of my favorite fashion designers, Alexander McQueen. His creations inspire me.

AFH: What do you like to paint?
XLX: I like to paint about my beliefs and my freedom.

AFH: What or who inspires you?
XLX: Lady Gaga inspires me because she’s very supportive about gay rights and she is also a very unique, bold innovator.



AFH: What classes have you taken at MassArt?
XLX: I have taken fundamental drawing, fashion design, and screen printing. Now I am taking a black & white photography class. It’s all about learning more and more and getting new experiences. 

AFH: Where do you want to go to college and what do you want to study?
XLX: I want to go to Hampshire College to study fashion and music.


AFH: Where do you see yourself in 6 years?
XLX: In six years, I will be famous! I’d like to be a comedy actor and a pop singer, and be the owner of a new fashion brand!

AFH: What is the most important thing you’ve learned at AFH so far?
XLX: The most important thing I’ve learned at AFH so far is to be unique and not to feel afraid of any constructive criticisms or comments about my art. 

AFH: What music is on your playlist right now?
XLX: Currently, I am listening to “Desperado” by the Eagles. 


Thanks Xiang Liang! (And…we love the Eagles too).

For more work by AFH talented teen painters (that you can buy at our holiday sale on 12-12-12!), keep checking back here and on our facebook page

No comments: