Monday, December 14, 2009

Kelsey Arbona talks about Merida Rug Design



Above are two of the three designs by Kelsey submitted to Merida. One will be made into a Merida rug.

Kelsey Arbona has apprenticed for almost 2 years at AFH
in the Painting and Graphics studios.

Kelsey's dream job: Graphic Designer

What were the major influences on your winning designs?
Since we were asked to portray our beliefs of the definition of sustainability through our rug design I thought about what makes the world go round. There are a million small actions that are necessary to keep the world going in a positive direction. I thought about a story I had heard in environmental class about forest fires. When they are not extinguished by firefighters, the acorns are allowed to release their seeds through the fire's heat. This gives forests the opportunity to regrow and flourish into a new environment. My rug design was influenced by this one event which shows sustainability in a small process that keeps the world on a positive balance.

How did you feel when you heard that your designs were winners in the competition?
I was ecstatic! To learn that my design was chosen by Merida, a major rug company, gives me a sense of accomplishment. It's always wonderful to hear when a client likes your designs.

What will you do with the rug when it is produced?
The rusty wooden floors in my room could use a little sprucing up! It will either spread on my bedroom floor or be hung on one of the walls.

What do you want to do next?
I will graduate from high school and expand my mind in all the possibilities design has to offer through college. After learning about the rug-making process, I would love to have more opportunities to work with different materials in design.

No comments: